Saturday, January 4, 2014

Store Up Treasures In Heaven

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin's do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6: 19-21

In this particular verse, Jesus is warning us about the love of money.
I think it is amazing how every verse in the Bible is so powerful, yet so intimate at the same time. Let me explain. Depending on who is reading the verse and what circumstances or "life situations" they are dealing with, is how they perceive the verse and how they use it to cope with the circumstance or the situation. Meaning, that another person and I can read this exact verse but it speak to us in a completely different way depending on the circumstance or situation. That is awesome. That is how intimate and amazing our God is.
The reason for this post is because I learned a very valuable lesson yesterday. I have really been asking the Lord to reveal himself to me in everyday life because sometimes life gets in the way and fogs what our true purpose is on this earth. To reflect the image of God and to make disciples. That can be a future post. Back to what I was saying…Thursday night as I lay in bed reflecting on the day, I started thinking about all things God has blessed me with. A family, home, friends, clothes, and the list goes on. I started thinking in particularly about the materialistic things I own. Which in reality, I do not own at all. All that I have is his. I am just a borrower of it all. I asked The Lord not to let me get attached to the material things that I had in my possession.
 Those of you that know me, know that I recently had the privilege of buying my first car!!  To say it was an upgrade would be a complete understatement---no offense, PEARL. I purchased a 2014 Nissan Altima in September and she has been my baby ever since. To give you an idea of how much I love my new car, I would ask people to wipe off the bottoms of their shoes before getting in, I wouldn't let anyone hold a drink unless it was in the cup holder, I would go and have it washed once every two weeks---you get the idea. Ridiculous. But I couldn't help it. When you spend the money on something super nice, you want to take care of it. So the next day, Friday, I have a few errands to run. About 1:30 p.m., the unthinkable happened. I had a wreck. In my brand-new car. Amazingly, I know it was from God, a calmness and peace came over me. Myself and the other driver involved are both okay and were pretty shaken up. The wreck was not my fault and was a complete freak accident. In that moment, I realized 1.) how fast a wreck can happen 2.) how precious life is 3.) how it was just a car(material) that can be fixed.
Don't get me wrong, I am completely bummed about my car being messed up but at the same time, it is a material. It is not important when it comes to the bigger picture. The bigger picture being that nothing..car, phone, fame, wealth, house, position, etc. can satisfy my soul or anyones soul the way that Jesus Christ can. He is the only one that can make you truly satisfied.
I am not saying not to enjoy the materials you have been blessed with. What I am saying is, do not place them above God and do not strive to have material things because you think that it will make you happier. The richest person on the planet can probably tell you that. Whether he or she wants to admit it or not. If they do not know Christ, they are not fully satisfied.

Until next time.

Stay Salty,

Annie







No comments:

Post a Comment