Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Doors




For some odd reason, doors have really been on my mind. I am a sucker for antique furniture and these doors are gorgeous. Thanks, Google! ;) 
I have had many doors open and close in my life. The doors I am speaking of are the ones that God has allowed to open and close. I don't know about you, but I struggle with figuring out which door he is closing and which door he is opening.  I think of the story in Genesis 19. When God spared Abraham's nephew life from His wrath on the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. God opened the door for Lot and his family to leave the city before he destroyed it, but it was very hard for Lot to leave the door in which God was closing, closed. Before he was literally dragged out by the angels (Genesis 19:16), Lot hesitated because he didn't want to leave behind the life he and his family established there. How many times have I hesitated before I finally let the door close? When Lot and his family finally leave, the angels instructed them not to look back. Well, Lot's wife just couldn't obey God's command to not look back at the city and she turned into a pillar of salt. She didn't obey. God is a fair and just God, but he does punish sin. Obviously, if you look back at your past, you will not turn into a pillar of salt, but this is a good reminder for us to trust that when God closes a door in our lives, he opens another one. We just have to be ready to walk through it when he reveals to us which doors are opening and which ones are closing.  
I really struggle with letting doors shut lately. My "type A" personality likes to take over and think that I have control on which ones should be opened and which ones should be closed. I pray daily and ask God to help me leave the doors he shuts closed, and to give me the courage and strength to walk through the ones he opens. Thankful that God knows exactly what he is doing when he does open and close doors in my life. :)


"When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."

Alexander Graham Bell




Stay Salty,

Annie

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts Anna! It is hard to know which doors are closing and which open door to go through. Love you, Aunt Angelia

    ReplyDelete