Thursday, January 2, 2014

Add Some Flavor to Your Life

Well, this is my third attempt to be a "blogger" so maybe the saying, "third times a charm" will come of some use. Here's hoping.  At first, I would try to blog about myself and what I was doing, until I realized that my life is really not that interesting to blog about. Normally, people who blog are newly weds, designers, people with babies, etc..etc. People with things to actually blog about. Then I started thinking and maybe I am not interesting enough but the One who created me is. I wanted a way to express my love for God and his son, Jesus Christ. I wanted to let other people know how good and faithful the Jesus I serve is. I wanted to glorify Him. 
You are probably asking yourself what the title of my blog signifies. So I will tell you how the title came to be. A few weeks ago, I came across the verse that now represents what this blog about, being salty. Luke 14: 34-35 Jesus is talking about salt. Webster describes salt as a substance used for seasoning food and preserving meat . In my Bible the commentary says this of being "salty". Salt can lose its flavor. When it gets wet and then dries, nothing is left but a tasteless residue. Many Christians tend to blend in the rest of the world and avoid the cost of standing up for Christ. But Jesus says if Christians lose their distinctive saltiness, they become worthless. Just as salt flavors and preserves food, we are to preserve the good in the world, help keep it from spoiling, and bring new flavor to life. It goes on to say, Being "salty" is not easy, but if a Christian fails in this function, he or she fails represent Christ in the world- Tyndall Live Application Study Bible. 
The word salt really stuck with me for some reason. The Lord just laid that word on my heart and I began to think about what I could possibly do with the word….salt. I began racking my brain of things that it could be and finally just kind of pushed it to the back of my brain. Then, one day out of the blue, I thought if I could use the word salt as an acronym I could do something with it. Again, my brain started spinning buttttt nothing. It wasn't until one random day when I wasn't thinking about it, I began thinking of words that could make up the acronym "salt". I quickly got my iPhone and went to the notes section and began typing away at the words that The Lord was laying on my mind and heart. Finally, I chose:

 Surrendering to 
 A
 Life
 Transformed

That is where the "salt" part came. The words also have significance also. In Romans 12:2, Paul states, "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is---his good, pleasing and perfect will."
You see, when you allow Jesus to be the Savior of your life, you surrender to your old self. We sacrifice our old self and let the new (only made new by Jesus) take over. My Bible commentary says this: " Only when the Holy Spirit renews, reeducates, and redirects our minds are we truly transformed." It says it clearly in Romans 8:5. " Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life."

I am living evidence of being transformed and continuing to be transformed daily . Trust me, it's a work in progress. Am I perfect? No. Not at all. I mess up all of the time, but God shows and continues to show me Grace each day. I hope that by reading this blog that you feel encouraged, loved by the one who created and formed you (Psalm 139:13), and determined to add flavor to the world! ;)

As they say, "The rest is history." I decided that I would start a blog about the Lord and just talk about and share things He does and continues to do in my life. 

Stay Salty,

Annie







No comments:

Post a Comment