Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Challenge

Lately, I have been trying to memorize scripture. I do not know enough scripture and that is something I want to challenge myself to be better at this year. It really is good to have scripture embedded into your heart. It helps you in so many different aspects of life. I have been blessed with godly family members. There is one that I always go to when I am down and out. Even though she lives in a different state and has to take care of a family, she ALWAYS has good advice to give. It is godly, straight from the Bible, advice. She advised me to pray scripture and when she prays for me over the phone she prays scripture. Not all the time, but most of the time. 
At first, I would try to memorize 3 or 4 scriptures a week. Obviously, that is a lot and I noticed that I wasn't' really applying what I was memorizing to my life. Like a test in high school or college, I would learn the material for the test and as soon as I answered the last question the information was gone never to be used again. I noticed that I was just memorizing and I wasn't enjoying what the verses meant. To fix that problem, I challenged myself to learn a new verse each week. Just one verse so I could really take in what the verse was saying and apply it to my life. 
I am challenging you too. Try to set a goal for yourself to memorize a verse each week. Really sit back and during your quiet time reflect on what that verse means to you. You might be asking yourself where you are supposed to start. Well, to help you out, I am going to post the verse that I am memorizing for the week. If you want, feel free to memorize the same verse as me. If not, you can choose one when you are reading during your quiet time. If there is a verse that really speaks to you, memorize that one. Try to memorize the reference so when the opportunity arrises--and it will--you can encourage someone by saying the verse or telling them where to find it in the Bible. You will be surprised at how many opportunities the Lord allows you to use his word to help encourage, motivate, and love his people with the verses you memorize. 
Scripture for the week:


"So you are no longer a slave, but God's child, and since you are his child, God has made you also an heir."
Galatians 4:7

Stay Salty,

Annie




No comments:

Post a Comment